ENG | БГ

Our History

Compelled by a profound sense of national duty, AGBU founder and first President, Boghos Nubar, boldly set out with nine founding members to form an organization to serve all Armenians and preserve the Armenian identity.

Since its inception in Cairo, Egypt on April 15, 1906, the organization’s reputation for integrity resonated and AGBU emerged as an unwavering champion of the Armenian people throughout the 20th century. A chronicle to the times, AGBU’s efforts supported our people faithfully through a tumultuous history of genocide, natural disasters, repatriation, resettlement, revival and national independence. Thanks to the resolute support of our members and donors, AGBU has flourished into a world-class organization with the resources and goodwill to serve Armenians across the Diaspora and in our homeland.

Indebted to the initiative and dedication of our predecessors and recent generations, AGBU’s first century of service has systematically redefined the landscape of the Armenian nation. With an emphasis on educational, cultural and humanitarian programs, AGBU operates worldwide over 69 Districts and Chapters, 47 Community Centers and Offices, and 27 Young Professional Groups; administers 25 day and Saturday schools; and supports a manifold of programs, including the American University of Armenia, Senior Dining Centers (Soup Kitchens), Children’s Centers, Student Scholarships, Summer Camps, Athletics & Scouts, Internship Programs, the Performing Arts and 14 publications in six languages.

Having crossed the threshold into the 21st century, AGBU is committed to upholding its legacy of moral and fiduciary obligation to the Armenian people with unparalleled foresight and direction. Rooted in our very origins, AGBU provides educational and cultural opportunities to Armenian youth today, for the benefit of the world community tomorrow.

The organization opened its official representation in Sofia in 1930. The main activity of the Union at that time was to financially support those wishing to return to Armenia and to provide material and moral support to scholarly young Armenians. Parekordzagan raises funds for its goals from individual donations, charity balls and concerts. Aid for humanitarian actions also comes from abroad.

In 1948, the All-Armenian Charitable Union "Parekordzagan" was forced for political reasons to cease its activities in Bulgaria for a period of 45 years.

The activity of the organization was resumed in 1992 on the initiative of Mrs. Sevda Sevan, the first chairman of the restored branch of "Parekordzagan" - Sofia. Today the Union has its branches in Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna, as well as associated branches in Silistra, Haskovo, Sliven, Yambol, Dobrich. The Bulgarian branch of Parekordzagan annually financially supports Armenian students, organizes concerts, exhibitions, charity balls, publishes Armenian books, supports Saturday Armenian schools, music and dance groups.

Since 1995, the President of the All-Armenian Charitable Union "Parekordzagan" - Sofia is Mrs. Sonya Avakyan-Bedrosyan. The Sofia branch has 115 members, has a separate youth section and has a good material base for achieving its goals. The Union is also actively working to promote Armenian culture in Bulgaria.

In 2017, a new chairman of the organization in Sofia, Mr. Arno Kuyumdjian, was elected. In 2020, Mr. Velizar Agopyan was elected new chairman, and in 2021, the current chairman of the organization is Mrs. Gronika Kavafyan.

Attracting young, educated and motivated Armenians to work for the benefit of the Armenian community is one of the leading priorities in the work of the chairwoman of the Sofia branch. In this mission "Parekordzagan" - Sofia remains one of the most modern, open to the world and to the current organizations of Armenians in Bulgaria.

  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments